A well know fact, I like to travel. A little dark secret, I don’t like to pack. It doesn’t mean that I don’t do it. I just means that I do it loathsomely. I kind of wish that every destination came with a travel butler. Someone to pack and unpack my clothes. Actually, I think that I’ll out that on my wish list, I’ll let you know how that turns out.
I shared these helpful tips on a TV segment on Good Morning Washington but you can read them below.
In any case, after years of packing, unpacking and repacking, I’ve picked up some tricks of the trade. Some come from good old trial and creative error, while others are collected and passed from traveler to traveler like how one picks up stamps on their passport. Either way, here are 15 travel hacks to use the next time you pack for a trip.
- Use binder clips to put on disposable razors to protect the blades.
- Use hotel and beauty samples as toiletry for your next trip.
- Put plastic wrap over open bottles and then replace the lid, to avoid spilling in your suitcase.
- Keep plastic grocery bags in your suitcase to store dirty clothes.
- Use shower caps to cover the soles of shoes.
- Pack dryer sheets between your clothes to keep clothes fresh.
- Rolls clothes before packing to save space and limit wrinkles.
- Color coordinate your clothes when packing for your return trip home, that way the clothes will
already be color sorted for laundry when you return.
- Use empty pill cases to pack small accessories like rings and earrings.
- Store small pieces of clothing like t-shirts and underwear inside of sneakers and boots. Wrap in a
plastic bag first to make sure they stay clean.
- Store cords and chargers in an old sunglasses case.
- Use space saver travel bags to keep clothes dry
and save space in your suitcase.
- Take a picture of the contents of your suitcase, that way if your luggage gets lost, you know what’s inside.
- Pack oven mitts in your suitcase, that way you can slip your curling iron or curling wand in there, if it’s still hot.
- Stick some pieces of masking tape with the sticky side down at the bottom of your bag. That way if you ever forget your lint roller, you can just peel the tape off and use that instead.
Looking for a suitcase for your next trip? This one is one of my favorites.