You know how some people have a signature color, hairstyle, look…lipstick? I think that’s cool and all but people should also have a signature recipe. A recipe that is unequivocally you. The ingredients, flavors, colors, smells should resonate on a personal, cultural and of course a tasty level.
So seven years ago, I set out to create that recipe. Don’t get me wrong, I create new recipes all the time but this is definitely me. It’s called Sweet and Spicy Mango Chicken Calypso Wraps.
It’s sweet, has a little bit of heat and hints of exotic and Caribbean flavors. One taste and you’ll know why I like it. Why am I sharing this recipe now? Well seven years ago there was no “The Domestic Life Stylist”. Secondly, I think that I can trust you.
I trust that you will slow down long enough to savor the flavors in this chicken mango wrap and not take them for granted. And then, when you’ve eaten the last tasty bite, I trust that you’ll come back to the blog and leave me a comment letting me what you think.
See that’s not too much to ask is it? I promise that you’ll make this time and time again. Well, once you can get your hands on fresh mangoes. Oh and just a heads up, things can get really messy and sticky when cooking the chicken in this dish. So use a non-stick grill pan that you’re not crazy about and clean up right after.
And since we are talking about mangoes, don’t miss my 30 second hack video on how to cut a mango on YouTube.
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts (cut in 1 inch strips)
- 12 ounces spicy mango chutney
- 1 tsp all-purpose or poultry seasoning
- ¼ - ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- lime juice from ½ lime (freshly squeezed)
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 head Boston bibb lettuce
- shredded or matchstick carrots
- 1 ripe whole mango sliced
- *extra mango chutney for dipping as desired
- *canola oil to brush on grill pan before cooking
- In large bowl or large sandwich bag, combine chicken with salt, seasonings, curry powder, garlic, lime juice, scallions and mango chutney
- Marinate for 2 hours
- Preheat table top (double sided)grill on medium heat
- Grill chicken for about 2 minutes per side or until brown
- Place equal parts of carrots on individual lettuce leaves
- Top with chicken and 2 slices of mango per wrap
- Serve alongside additional mango chutney for dipping
- * May also be cooked in a 350 degree oven in an foil paper lined pan for about 15 mintutes