You know how some people have a signature color, hairstyle, look…lipstick? I decided that it was time to create a signature recipe. A recipe that is unequivocally many of the things I love. The ingredients, flavors, colors, smells resonate on a personal, cultural and of course a tasty level.
A few years ago, I set out to create that recipe. Don’t get me wrong, I write new recipes all the time but, this is definitely me. It’s called Sweet and Spicy Mango Chicken Calypso Wraps.
It’s sweet, has a little bit of heat and exotic Caribbean flavors. One taste and you’ll know why I like it.
I trust that you will slow down long enough to savor the flavors in this chicken mango wrap and not take them for granted. And then, when you’ve eaten the last tasty bite, let me know what you think.
I promise that you’ll make this time and time again. Well, once you can get your hands on fresh mangoes. Oh and just a heads up, things can get really messy and sticky when cooking the chicken in this dish. So use a non-stick grill pan that you’re not crazy about and clean up right after. I also like to use large freezer bags to marinate the chicken in and through them away after for super easy clean up.
And since we are talking about mangoes, don’t miss my 30 second hack video on how to cut a mango on YouTube.Print
Sweet & Spicy Mango Chicken Calypso Wraps
A recipe for sweet and spicy chicken lettuce wraps made with curry and mango that is naturally gluten free.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 4-5 1x
- Category: Sandwiches/Wraps
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts (cut in 1 inch strips)
- 12 ounces spicy mango chutney (reserve half for dipping)
- 1 tsp all-purpose or poultry seasoning
- ¼ – ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- lime juice from ½ lime (freshly squeezed)
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 head Boston bibb lettuce
- shredded or matchstick carrots
- 1 ripe whole mango sliced
- *extra mango chutney for dipping as desired
- *canola oil to brush on grill pan before cooking
- In large bowl or large sandwich bag, combine chicken with salt, seasonings, curry powder, garlic, lime juice, scallions and mango chutney
- Marinate for 2 hours
- Preheat table top (double sided)grill on medium heat
- Grill chicken for about 2 minutes per side or until cooked through and brown on the outside
- Place equal parts of carrots on individual lettuce leaves
- Top with chicken and 2 slices of mango per wrap
- Serve alongside additional mango chutney for dipping
- * May also be cooked in a 350 degree oven in an foil paper lined pan for about 15 mintutes
Originally published: August 24. 2015