If you’re looking for a simple meal for your family, try these paleo chicken fajitas. They make an easy and healthy weeknight dinner and are really simple to make.
I know you’ve been there, eyes darting around the fridge trying to figure out what to make for dinner. Fortunately, paleo fajitas are one of those chicken recipes that are not only healthy, but delicious.
Ingredients in Paleo Chicken Fajitas
- Skinless chicken breasts or skinless chicken thighs (It’s really a personal preference but chicken breasts tend to be more lean. Cut them into lengthwise strips. If you want more flavor, reach for chicken thighs)
- Bell peppers add color, crunch, and sweetness to the fajitas. Use a different colors of peppers to make the dish more visually appealing and nutritious. Cut the peppers into strips.
- Onion (cut into thin strips): You can use white or yellow onions. Red onion would also work nicely with the additional bonus of adding a pop of color.
- Lime juice: Fresh lime juice gives this recipe a tasty zing and helps to tenderize the meat. Lime juice is a common ingredient in Mexican food. So it’s a good idea to keep some on hand.
- Olive oil: Olive oil adds richness and flavor to the fajitas. It also helps the chicken from sticking to the pan.
- Chili powder: Do yourself a favor and don’t skip the chili powder. Chili powder is a blend of ground chili peppers and other spices, such as cumin, garlic, and oregano. It adds heat and depth to the fajitas. Adjust as needed.
- Ground cumin: I just love the taste of ground cumin in my food. Ground cumin is a warm and earthy spice that complements the chili powder and adds a bold flavor to this dish.
- Paprika: Paprika is a sweet and smoky spice that adds flavor and a beautiful color to the fajitas. You can use either sweet or smoked paprika, or a combination of both, depending on your preference.
- Fresh cilantro (give a fresh flavor): The fresh cilantro in the recipe will make your tastebuds dance with delight. It’s bright, fragrant and oh so good.
- Salt & pepper: Herbs and spices are great, but they go even better with some salt and pepper.
About Paleo Chicken Fajitas
Before I talk about how to make this delicious meal, remember that these are not your typical chicken fajitas. They are healthy and easy meal that are great for any busy weeknight. To keep things healthy. skip the sour cream and cheddar cheese in favor of toppings like fresh veggies, pico de gallo and your favorite salsa or hot sauce.
Other ideas for keeping things healthier are swapping traditional corn tortillas or flour tortillas for low carb tortillas or lettuce wraps. Butter lettuce makes a pretty tasty option as well.
How to Make this Quick Meal
- In a small bowl, squeeze the lime juice and add the olive oil. Mix the ingredients together until well combined.
- Add the chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to the bowl and continue to nix.
- Place the chicken strips into a large bowl and pour the marinade over them. Toss the chicken strips to coat them evenly in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to marinate for least 30 minutes. You can even do this part the night before for easy meal prep the next day.
- Using a cast iron skillet, heat up some olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced onions and peppers. Stir occasionally and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly softened and charred.
- Remove the chicken strips from the marinade and shake off any excess marinade.
- Add some more olive oil to the pan and place over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken strips and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Return the vegetables to the pan and stir everything together.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top of the fajitas, and serve with your favorite toppings.
What to Serve with Paleo Chicken Fajitas
Pair this healthy dinner with some cilantro cauliflower rice and fresh lime wedges.
Once the chicken fajitas have cooled, store in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. You can reheat the chicken and the vegetables in a skillet over medium heat.
Paleo Chicken Fajitas
This tasty and easy recipe for paleo chicken fajitas is the perfect healthy family meal for any day of the week!
- 1 pound chicken breast (or thighs) cut into strips
- 3 bell peppers (red, green, yellow): 1 each, sliced into thin strips 1
- 1 onion (sliced into thin strips)
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil: (2 tablespoon for the marinade, 1 tablespoon for cooking)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cilantro (chopped)
- In a small bowl add lime juice and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Use a whisk to combine.
- To the same bowl add the chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add the chicken strips to a large bowl and cover with the marinade.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes.
- To a cast iron skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and preheat on medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot saute the peppers and onions for about 5-7 minutes until the veggies are soft and slightly charred.
- Once the vegetables are finished cooking add an additional tablespoon of olive oil.
- Remove chicken from marinade and cook for 5-7 minutes until brown and cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the peppers and onions back in and toss.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with your favorite healthy toppings, wrapped in lettuce or alongside cilantro cauliflower rice.
Amount Per Serving Calories 289Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 107mgSodium 841mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 28g
Nutrition information isn't always accurate.
Comments ( 0 )