Try this delicious recipe for grilled chicken brochettes that is bursting with authentic Mexican flavor. These gluten free chicken kebabs are also naturally dairy free.
If you’re looking for a flavorful and healthy chicken recipe, this is it! Healthy family dinners aren’t always easy to pull off. It’s even more challenging when you’re looking for gluten free or dairy free options. This recipe happens to check the boxes for both.
What are brochettes?
Brochettes are skewers with alternate pieces of meat or fish and vegetables served on metal or wooden skewers. That means that you could also call these chicken skewers or kebobs if you want. Note, is you’re using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them for at least 30 minutes first.
What type of chicken to use for brochettes?
This recipe calls for the use of one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast. You can also use boneless skinless thighs if preferred.
Is this a healthy chicken marinade?
Yes, this chicken marinade is healthy and flavorful. Here are the ingredients:
- fresh orange juice
- chili powder
- canned chipotle peppers
- olive oil
- brown sugar (just two tablespoons)
- bell pepper
Directions for Grilled Chicken Brochettes
- Blend marinade ingredients using blender. Add lime zest and juice, orange juice, olive oil, garlic, sugar, chili, cumin, chipotle peppers, parsley, cilantro, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Rinse the chicken breast and pat dry.
- Cut into cubes or small pieces. Place the pieces in the marinade. A big resealable plastic bag is useful for this.
- Marinate for 1-6 hours.
- Cut the peppers into medium squares and cut the onion coarsely.
- If using wooden skewers, make sure that they are soaked in water for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Thread the marinated chicken, alternating with onion and bell pepper of different colors, making sure to leave a little space between the chicken so that it cooks evenly.
- Cook on a well oiled seasoned grill, reoiling between batches so that the chicken doesn’t stick.
- If you’re having a hard time getting the chicken completely cooked on the range, you can also finish in the oven for the last five minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Recommended Tools for Grilled Chicken Brochettes
basting brushes (to oil grill)
How to Cook Chicken Kebabs in Oven
For this recipe, I highly recommend the use of a stovetop griddle pan. I use this cast iron pre-seasoned cast iron grill. It heats up evenly and gives you great grill marks. If you don’t have a grill pan, you can make these grilled chicken brochettes in the oven.
Just follow the instructions as normal and make at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. The actual cooking time will depend on the pieces of chicken that you use.
What to serve with chicken skewers?
These chicken skewers are so delicious and go well with a myriad of other recipes for a complete meal. See below:
Simple green salad
How to Store Leftover Chicken Kebabs
Remove any chicken and vegetables off of skewers and store in tightly closed glass containers for 3-4 days.
Where to Buy Chicken Online?
If you want to skip the grocery store and want to buy chicken online, use my link to buy quality organic chicken online. It ships fresh and frozen sold to your door.
Other chicken recipes:
Grilled Chicken Brochette with Mexican Flavor
Try this delicious recipe for grilled chicken brochettes that is bursting with authentic Mexican flavor.
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp canned chipotle peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast
- 3-6 bell peppers (3 colors)
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2-3 sprigs each of parsley and cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cracked pepper
- Mix lime juice, lime zest, orange juice, oil, garlic, sugar, chili, cumin, canned chipotle peppers, parsley, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes or small pieces.
- Place the chicken pieces in the marinade (in a resealable bag) and let sit in the refrigerator for 1-6 hours. I recommend at least 2 hours for optimal flavor.
- Cut the pepper and onion into squares.
- Thread marinated chicken onto wooden skewers alternating with onions and bell peppers of different colors.
- Grill for about 30 minutes on stovetop grill (rotating on different sides) until thoroughly cooked.
Note: If using wooden skewers, soak them for 30 minutes first.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 320Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 96mgSodium 684mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 2gSugar 11gProtein 37g
Nutrient information is automatically calculated and isn't always accurate.
Comments ( 0 )