When I was a kid, I absolutely detested cranberry sauce. Actually, I thought that there was just one way to have it. Cold and gelatinous, sliced right out of the can. It wasn’t until I become an adult that the wool was pulled from over my eyes. And now, I know that homemade cranberry sauce is the only way to go.
This recipe for homemade orange cranberry sauce is sugar free and so easy to make, that there’s is no reason to mess with the canned stuff. I mean, there is no telling how long the cranberry sauce has been sitting in the can. If you’re a cranberry sauce lover, then once you have tried homemade cranberry sauce you will never turn back.
Besides being sugar free, you’ll appreciate flavors like vanilla, cinnamon and orange that compliment your Thanksgiving turkey dinner nicely. Make it the night before and then that’s one less thing you have to do on Thanksgiving or whenever you plan to serve it.
Don’t worry if you don’t get around to it until Thanksgiving Day though, because this healthy cranberry sauce recipe only takes about 10-15 minutes to make.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce (Sugar-Free)
A homemade cranberry sauce will all the flavors you love without the added sugar.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4
- 1 (12oz) bag fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp honey (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ginger (finely chopped)
- Zest of one orange
- Place washed cranberries in a medium pot, with orange juice, peel, ginger, cinnamon stick and vanilla on medium heat
- Listen for when the cranberries start to pop
- It takes about 10-15 minutes before all the cranberries burst and are ready
- Remove from heat, let cool and refrigerate or enjoy right away
Keywords: cranberry sauce
Original November 24, 2014. Updated November 2018