We almost missed the season but alas, we got to go strawberry picking yesterday. The kids picked until their adrenaline ran out. Apparently with six and two year olds, that takes a really long time.
Once we got our strawberry stash home, I got to work.
Obviously the strawberries wanted to be made over into something even more fabulous and strawberry salad with homemade honey balsamic vinaigrette was just the thing.
For this strawberry salad you can use any greens you like. Since the lettuce is growing in our garden nicely, I snipped a bunch and used it in the salad. Simple recipes like this one are best when you use the best ingredients that you can get your hands on.
After that, it was the usual suspects. Red onions, blue cheese, pecans and a homemade honey balsamic dressing.
Similar versions of this salad use candied nuts like pecans as a topper. I have enough sugar in my life. For me just a few handfuls of pecans and sprinkle of blue cheese will do. This salad is best when prepared right before enjoying. Otherwise, you will have a big soggy mess.
And I don’t know about you but, I have no time in my life for soggy salads. You can definitely make this salad into a simple lunch or dinner by topping it with grilled chicken or seafood if you wish. Another option, is to get all fancy by having a strawberry themed meal.
Start with the strawberry salad as a starter, continue all this strawberry goodness with my strawberry barbecue hot wing recipe and finish with vanilla ice cream topped with strawberry basil sauce for dessert.
Strawberry Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing
A simple and tasty recipe for strawberry salad dressed with a homemade honey balsamic vinaigrette.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 2-4
- Category: Salads
- 1 bunch lettuce
- sliced fresh strawberries ( I used about 1/2 a pound)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp wild honey
- 1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 handfuls pecans
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- sliced red onions as desired
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Rinse lettuce and pat dry. Put in large bowl.
- Place vinegar in a small bowl and thoroughly combine with honey.
- Slowly add olive oil while continuing to mix well.
- Add vanilla and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- To lettuce add strawberries, onions, pecans and blue cheese.
- Lightly toss the salad with the honey balsamic. Serve immediately.