The only thing better than silky ice cream in the summer is, ice cream covered in hot fudge or fresh strawberry topping. In this case, it’s the latter.
Strawberry-Basil Dessert Topping
Fresh summer strawberries come together deliciously in this yummy dessert topping.
Don’t be fooled though. Although vanilla ice cream is my all time fave you can drizzle this over pound cake, cheesecake…even a log and it would taste great.
I know that you can buy strawberry sauce in the grocery store but why would you want to do that? This is so much better. Can’t you just taste the saucy goodness?
The fresh strawberries and purple basil comes together beautifully in this one. I used purple basil because that is what was growing in my garden but use whatever basil you want. This was an experiment in my kitchen gone so right.
Oh and did I mention that there are few surprises in this. Balsamic, lemon zest…you didn’t think I was going to get all boring on you did you?
- 6-8 large strawberries (sliced)
- 6 basil leaves (chiffonade)
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- lemon zest to taste
- Add butter to skillet on medium low heat and allow to melt
- Add sliced strawberries, balsamic, vanilla and sugar
- Cook about 5-10 minutes until sauce starts to thicken and the strawberries start to get soft
- Finish with fresh basil and lemon zest and promptly remove from heat
- Serve over cake, ice cream or whatever your heart desires
Amount Per Serving Calories 64Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 8mgSodium 2mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 0g
For more sweet and cool treats follow The Domestic Life Stylist’s Frozen Treats Board: