The Caribbean or Virgin Islands coleslaw is inspired by my island home of St. Thomas, Virgin Islands and is absolutely delicious. I’ve had people come to my home for dinner and say “I don’t like coleslaw”, and then leave my home as coleslaw converts.
The only thing is, growing up in the Caribbean; I always had to grate the cabbage and carrots by hand. These days you can just by a bag of cabbage/carrot slaw mix and everything from that point is easy. And no, there is no fancy tropical fruit in this but, if you order have coleslaw in the Virgin Islands, this is exactly how it’s made.
- 14 oz classic slaw mix (cabbage & carrots)
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- ½ cup mayo
- ¾ cup raisins
- 2 tbsp sugar (or according to taste)
- ¼ tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Add all ingredients to cabbage and carrots in large bowl
- Mix well
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hours before serving
- Serve chilled