This beverage is perfect for a warm spring or summer day. Yesterday was one of those days. The spring sunshine was perfect for this Pineapple Ginger Cooler. A friend of mine recently mentioned the concept of boiling pineapple peel to make a beverage and I was intrigued.
We use fresh pineapples around here all the time, so last time we had one I simply kept the peel and stored it in the freezer. I have to say, that every time I make this pineapple drink, I feel like I am beating the system.
It sounds so silly but the fact the only the top part of the pineapple is tossed after this recipe, makes me feel unreasonably good.
She didn’t really give me a recipe per se. But, I loved the concept. To this version I added pineapple peel, ginger, cinnamon, water, sugar and boiled for a bit. Yeah, that’s pretty much how it happened. After that, the rest is just magic.
Keep reading below if you want the recipe. You’ll be sipping on this all summer long.Print
Pineapple Ginger Cooler
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 4
- Category: Beverage
- peel of one whole pineapple (frozen)
- 8 cups of water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- mixed frozen tropical fruits
- *mint to garnish
- In large pot add pineapple peel, ginger and cinnamon sticks
- Add 8 cups of water to pineapple peel
- Boil for 1 hour
- Add sugar and stir well
- Place mixture in the refrigerator until cool (at least 1 hour)
- Strain to serve
- Pour over frozen mixed tropical fruit and garnish with fresh mint as desired