I love sweet potatoes and don’t know many people that don’t. However, many sweet potato recipes are laden with sugar and lots of fat…and all that’s not good for our bodies. So I set out to create a tastier, healthier sweet potato recipe that you don’t have to feel guilty about eating. Flavors like rosemary and orange blend together perfectly in these rosemary sweet potatoes. The flavors are further complimented by the sweet and tart of sweetened and dried cranberries.
You can have these rosemary sweet potatoes any time of the year. Although most people enjoy making this recipe for Easter, Mother’s Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
In fact, I can always tell when Thanksgiving is coming around because there’s an uptick of traffic to this post. If you want a delicious change this upcoming holiday trade out our typical sweet potato recipe and try sweet potatoes instead.
Tips for Making Rosemary Sweet Potatoes with Orange
To make the best orange rosemary sweet potatoes, you’re going to start out with some sweet potatoes. Wash them and dry them thoroughly before peeling. One you peel the sweet potatoes it’s very important that you don’t wet them again.
Next cut the sweet potatoes in 1 inch pieces. This part is important to get all those tasty pieces to cook evenly.
In addition, to get the best sweet potatoes for this delicious side dish, it’s super important that you don’t crowd the pan. Use two low lying aluminum sheet pans if you need too so that the potatoes are evenly spaced.
Crowding the pan will cause more steaming versus roasting and you don’t want that.
Soaking the cranberries in orange juice for at least 30 minutes first will lesson the chances that you get too many burnt cranberries. Don’t skip that part. Soaking the cranberries will also give you lots of flavor.
Is this a vegan recipe?
I’m not vegan or vegetarian but, for all my vegan friends out there, you can make this recipe dairy free by omitting the butter and using unrefined coconut oil instead. I’ve tried making the recipe both ways and they are equally tasty.
Other things to note
This recipe is a huge crowd pleaser. I’ve brought it to pot lucks and parties with no problem. Once I even brought these sweet potatoes to a breakfast gathering and it was delicious for breakfast too. We paired it with eggs and bacon and it was a hit!
They make a great tasty swap for breakfast potatoes.
Are you looking for more Thanksgiving and holiday recipes? Try this homemade cranberry sauce. You’ll also be a fan of my recipe for roasted brussels sprouts, mini vegan pumpkin pie, baked cinnamon apples and spiced butternut squash bisque.
Give these healthy recipes for your next holiday or celebratory occasion a try!
- 5 sweet (medium) potatoes
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 2 sprigs (2 tbsp) fresh rosemary - stems removed
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 sea salt
- *2 tbsp (salt-free) melted butter (equally divided)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- * Dairy free version: Can be substituted for coconut oil or olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Put cranberries in orange juice and let soak for 30 minutes
- Peel and cut potatoes into bite-sized 1 inch pieces
- To a large bowl, add cranberry-orange juice and mix well. mixture along with maple syrup, sea salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon and rosemary and mix well
- Add olive oil, maple syrup, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, and rosemary stems.
- Toss to coat evenly coat potatoes.
- Grease a large sheet pan with half the melted butter. Reserve other half. (note: You may have two split the potatoes into two different batches to cook evenly).
- Pour remaining butter over the sweet potatoes before placing in oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until fork tender-making sure to stir potatoes half-way through cooking.
- Garnish with fresh orange and rosemary as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Berglander Stainless Steel Rose Gold Titanium Plated Flatware Serving Set 6 Pieces, 5 Serving Pieces of 45 Pieces Flatware With 1 Cake Server, Copper Serving Silverware Set (Shiny Rose Gold)
USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel 17.5 x13.5 x1
Amount Per Serving Calories 305Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 10mgSodium 91mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 6gSugar 29gProtein 2g
Other Sweet Potato Recipes:
Original November 2, 2013.
Updated 11/14/2018 & 10/14/2020 11/16/21