One the most versatile dishes you anyone can make are eggs. Eggs for breakfast. Eggs for lunch. Eggs for dinner. For a fancier take on eggs, I really enjoy making eggs frittatas. But in this recipe, I kicked it up a notch by making the frittatas mini and fun sized. I came up with the idea after our church was having a breakfast for the kids classes this past weekend. I wanted the kids to participate but decided to pack their own breakfasts just in case there were any items being served that was on our “no go” list.
I needed breakfast to be portable and easy to grab and go. Hence the these mini fun sized fritattas. I used a muffin tin to make them the perfect shape. Of course you can make these with any ingredients you like but I made these frittatas vegetarian.
These frittatas would make a great addition to a menu plan for Meatless Mondays. The almost bite sized egg delights are packed with goodies like onions, red peppers, greens and shiitake mushrooms. Shiitake mushrooms are known for packing health benefits like reducing inflammation, aiding in weight loss and have great anti-cancer benefits too.
Besides being cute, cooking the frittatas or egg muffins in a muffin tin not only ups the cute factor but the reduced size helps reduce the cooking time too. Top if off with a little shredded cheese right before it goes into the oven or not. Just don’t go overboard.
After about 12-15 minutes the egg is poofs up and is ready to go.
Soon after that they’ll fall just a little but don’t worry they taste just as good.
And then just like that those egg delights are ready to serve.
Nutritious? You betcha.
Easy grab and go breakfast, packed lunch and plated dinner meal…
Definitely. I have you covered. These egg muffins remind me of these egg and ham breakfast cups a made a while back.
I think that I’ll have to put those back in rotation. To shop my health and style favorites, including a muffin tin make your own mini fritattas, be sure to shop here: https://www.amazon.com/shop/thedomesticlifestylist
And now it’s time for the recipe.Print
Mini Fun Sized Frittatas or Egg Muffins
A delicious spin on traditional egg frittatas. These vegetarian frittatas can be enjoyed at any time of day.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch
- 10 whole eggs (well beaten)
- 4 shiitake mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup rinsed chopped kale
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/3 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic (minced)
- 5 basil leafs (cut in fine strips)
- 1/2 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded white cheddar
- 1 tbsp butter
- *olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- While the oven is preheating saute mushrooms, onions, peppers, garlic, oregano in butter until soft on medium heat (about 2 minutes).
- Add water to eggs, salt and pepper and beat well.
- Slowly fold in sauteed veggies and then add basil.
- Spray muffin pan with olive oil.
- Use a ladle to spoon each muffin pan to about a third full with the egg mixture.
- Push down any bits of mushrooms or kale before topping with cheese.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes or until eggs are puffy and firm.
- Enjoy right away or store away for another day once cool.
Also try these egg recipes: