Pineapple chow is a sweet and spicy healthy pineapple recipe that is super easy to make. Made with simple clean ingredients, this recipe is perfect for a summer picnic or a as a healthy snack.
What is Pineapple Chow?
Pineapple chow, also known as pineapple pickle is a sweet and savory side dish that uses just a few fresh ingredients and is super easy to make. If you like the combination of sweet and savory you’re going really like the flavors in this dish.
Is Pineapple Chow Hard to Make?
One of the best things about pineapple chow is that is super easy to make. The most challenging part of course is selecting a fresh juicy pineapple. Once you’ve done that you need to know how to cut it.
How to Cut a Fresh Pineapple
Cutting a pineapple may seem intimidating at first, but it looks more difficult that it actually is. You can even save the skins to make this pineapple ginger cooler. If you’re going to be saving the skins, be sure to give the pineapple a good rinse first. Here’s how to cut the pineapple:
- With a sharp knife, slice the bottom and top off the pineapple and set aside. This is usually about 1/2 -1 inch that has to be removed.
- Next, sit the pineapple upright and cut all around the sides, aiming to remove just the skin and minimizing loss of fruit. You can also remove the eyes (those darker parts of the pineapple) if you like. Most times I leave it on because it’s completely edible.
- Reserve those skins and put in a freezer bag if you’re going to be making this easy pineapple ginger cooler. If not, just toss.
- After that, cut the pineapple in quarters.
- In each quarter there will be a piece of pineapple core.
- Glide the knife along the inside each quarter, removing the inner core of each quarter.
- Again, this is about no more than a 1/2 inch of the inner section of each quadrant this is being removed.
- Lay the pineapple flat and cut into larger chunks or small cubes as desired.
- Congrats! You’ve cut a fresh pineapple.
It’s pretty straight forward actually. But take a look at this video if you want a visual.
What to Serve with Pineapple Chow
The options for what you you can serve with pineapple chow are endless. Since this recipe leans into summer, some ideas to go alongside are barbecue favorites like your barbecue chicken and potato salad. The pineapple chow also pairs nicely with fish dishes like fish tacos. You can also “chow” on this recipe by itself as a tasty snack.
Ingredients Needed for Pineapple Chow (Pineapple Pickle)
- Fresh whole pineapple
- Sea salt
- jalapeno pepper
- chili pepper
How to Make Pineapple Chow
Peel, core and dice a pineapple into 1 inch or bite-sized pieces.
Place the diced pineapple into a large bowl. Preferably use one with a storage lid to refrigerate any leftovers.
Add sliced jalapeno, chili peppers, cilantro, and onion.
Let all the flavors sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before enjoying.
Is this dish really spicy?
It’s more sweet and spicy than spicy. Hopefully, it’s put you at ease that kids eat this right up. If you’re concerned about the spice level, be sure to omit the seeds.
- 1 large pineapple (peeled, cored and cubed)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 jalapeno pepper (sliced thin)
- 1 red chili pepper (sliced thin)
- 3 large cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 3 oranges (juice)
- 2 limes (juice)
- 1/2 large onion (thinly sliced sliced)
- Dice (cored and peeled) pineapple into 1-inch bite-sized pieces. Place the diced pineapple into a large bowl.
- Add sliced jalapeno, chili pepper, cilantro and onion.
- Now combine the citrus juices-lime and orange.
- Finally, add the minced garlic and salt. and mix all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Let all the ingredients sit for a minimum of 20 minutes so that flavors can "marry" before serving.
Let ingredients sit in bowl for a minimum of 20 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 49Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 267mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 1g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically and isn't always accurate.