Trying to figure out what to do with those blackberries? This blackberry chicken salad with avocado is made with juicy blackberries, colorful greens and fresh sliced avocado for the quintessential summer salad.
Why You’ll Love this Blackberry Chicken Salad
This chicken blackberry salad is made with simple ingredients that you can feel good about. You’ll love the combination of fresh, sweet, savory, and crunchy that comes together in no time.
This salad is satisfying enough to enjoy as a main meal or as a tasty appetizer. It’ a great recipe to entertain with or take to a friend’s house.
Salad Ingredients for Blackberry Chicken Salad with Avocado
Chicken – Start with cleaned chicken that is patted dry. I love this using chicken breast for this salad. To maximize all the flavor that you get, I recommend letting it sit for at least 30 minutes with salt, black pepper and your favorite poultry seasoning.
Fresh sweet blackberries -Of course you can’t make a blackberry chicken salad recipe without using blackberries. You’ll need some for the blackberry dressing and some to scatter about the salad.
Red onion– Red onion gives this salad a little bite and is great flavor combination.
Mixed greens– I used a colorful spring mix for this salad. For a more nutritious salads base use spinach or baby kale.
Extra virgin olive oil – EVOO is a key ingredient needed to make the homemade blackberry vinaigrette.
Walnuts– raw walnuts are quite healthy and make a tasty edition to this salad. Crunchy pecans are also an option. Chop them into bite-size pieces.
Seasonings– sea salt, black pepper. poultry seasoning,
Ripe avocado– a nice touch to the ultimate summer salad. Avocado provide a boost of healthy fats too!
Here’s What You’ll Need to Make the Blackberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Fresh blackberries- using a food processor, the fruit is pulsed down into blackberry juice.
- Honey- A few tablespoons raw honey is added for a touch of sweetness
- Mustard- Dijon mustard gives the balsamic vinegar dressing a tangy zip.
- Coconut aminos- Instead of soy sauce, coconut aminos is used for flavor and depth. A teaspoon of tamari may also be used.
- Seasonings- salt and pepper
- Balsamic vinegar- get good quality aged balsamic. Can be traditional or flavored of you’d like.
How to Store Extra Dressing
If you have any remaining dressing, store it in a glass covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Dinner salads like this one, are the perfect way to embrace summer while keeping on track with your health and wellness goals.
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 11oz spring mix greens (large tub)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Ideally you would let this sit for 30 minutes before moving on to step 2.
- Preheat a grill pan with avocado oil and sauté chicken over medium-high heat.
- Mash the berries with a fork or puree them using a food processor.
- Add other salad dressing ingredients and combine.
- In a large bowl add spring mix salad greens and arrange with blackberries, walnuts, onions and chicken on top.
- Drizzle with blackberry balsamic dressing as desired.
If you can, season the chicken and let sit for 30 minutes before grilling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 462Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 96mgSodium 639mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 8gSugar 14gProtein 40g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically and isn't always accurate.
Other Clean Eating Salad Recipes
Other Blackberry Recipes
If you’d like to learn more about how to use food and lifestyle as medicine, purchase my NEW book, Be FINE.