Don’t you say good bye to the summer yet. The summer is still here and the tomatoes are still ripe and flavorful. As a matter of fact, my tomato plant is just starting to show off it’s delicious fruit. Soon there will be red and juicy and ready for picking. I can’t wait.. We have already had a chance to sample some of the summer harvest offerings at my local grocery store. Here are some of my favorite ways to savor the summer bounty this year.
Tomato and Bacon Sandwiches
I just love the simplicity of it all. Salty, crispy bacon, juicy sweet tomatoes are the perfect pair. The reason it is not a BLT sandwich is because in this case, the lettuce just gets in the way. I pair mine with fresh cracked pepper and a a smear of grainy mustard and mayo. Simply delicious.
Tri Colored Bruschetta
Here’s my recipe for tri-colored tomato bruschetta
Serves: 4 Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 1-2 minutes
3 tomatoes ( 1 heirloom, I yellow, 1 Roma)
6 basil leaves chopped
½ loaf French baguette
2 pinches sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1-2 garlic cloves (halved)
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
• Preheat table top double sided grill on medium heat
• Chop tomatoes, remove and discard seeds
• To small bowl add tomatoes, tbsp olive oil, basil, vinegar, salt and pepper
• Mix well and set aside
• Slice bread into ½ inch pieces
• Brush bread (on one side) with remaining olive oil and place on grill, oil side down
• Grill for 1-2 minutes
• Remove from grill and gently rub garlic clove along entire oiled surface of bread
• Spoon tomato mixture over bread and enjoy
*Cook’s note: If you do not own an indoor grill, place bread in 400˚F preheated oven for 10 minutes, on sheet pan, oiled side down.
Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Salad
|Photo credit: Fotolia|
Pair fresh slices of mozzarella cheese with your favorite tomatoes, and fresh basil and you have a winner. Finish with some extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh cracked pepper and sea salt for a tasty and healthy treat.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy tomatoes?