I went to a LivingSocial event in DC and had a blast! Doran Petersan, two time winner of Food Network’s Cupcake Wars and owner of Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats (voted as DC’s best vegan restaurant and top three in the cupcake category), presented her dessert recipes for eager students like myself to learn the tricks of her trade and reap the rewards. Yes, we got to make it all ourselves!
We prepared two vegan sweet treats: Rolling Stones Brown Sugar Cupcakes with Spiced Rum Frosting and S’mores Brownie.
Brown Sugar Cupcake with Spiced Rum Frosting
|My baking partner Kate did a great job with the icing|
Recipe courtesy of Sticky Fingers Bakery, Cupcake Wars, 2011
Yield: 12 cupcakes
1 ½ cups unbleached flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
9 ounces brown sugar
4 ounces non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (recommended: Earth Balance)
1 ½ tablespoons egg replacer, (recommended: Ener-G)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
3 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
Spiced Rum Frosting (recipe below)
• Preheat the oven 350 degrees F.
• In the bowl of electric or hand mixer, cream sugar and margarine with whisk attachment, about 5 minutes. Progress from low to high speed.
• Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
• In a small bowl or cup, combine water, egg replace and vanilla
• Stir to dissolve the egg replacer
• Add the egg replacer to the sugar and mix until combined
• Combine the soy milk and vinegar, stir and set aside
• Turn the mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients and soy milk in small batches, alternating between the two, ending with soy milk.
• Stop occasionally to scrape the sides of the bowl
• Using a ice cream scoop (approx. 2oz), fill 12 cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter and bake for 19 minute or inserted toothpick comes out clean
Spiced Rum Frosting
8 ounces non hydrogenated vegetable shortening (recommended: Earth Balance)
8 ounces non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (recommended: Earth Balance)
1 pound 8 ounces powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup dark rum
|Thanks Melissa for helping to get our icing on the right track|
• In stand mixer, whip shortening and margarine until completely combined.
• Scrape the bottom of the bowl to ensure that all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
• On low speed, slowly add sugar and spices in 1/3 increments
• Scrape the bottom of the bowl
• Reduce speed, add rum, mix to combine, return to the medium speed until incorporated
• Scrape the bottom of the bowl and mix on medium heat until combined and frosting is fluffy (about 2 minutes)
• Using a rubber spatula or large spoon, fill pastry bag with frosting and cut off the tip.
Yield: 2 quarts
|These were so yummy!|
Yield: 12 large or 24 small brownies
2/3 cup coffee, brewed
1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated vegan margarine (recommended: Earth Balance)
2 ounces dark chocolate (58% or darker)
2 3/4 cups (19.6 ounces sugar)
1 cup (3.8 ounces) cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/3 cups (11 ounces) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chocolate chips
1 container Sweet & Sarah Marshmallows
12-24 graham crackers
• Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
• Grease a 9”x13” or 12”x12” baking pan
• Using a double broiler, heat the coffee, margarine and dark chocolate on medium heat until chocolate is melted and ingredients are thoroughly combined (or until steam escapes from sides of double boiler).
• In a large mixing bowl, whisk by hand the sugar, cocoa and salt with the paddle attachment
• Add the oil, water and vanilla and whisk to combine
• Add the coffee mixture and mix to combine
• Add flour, baking powder and chocolate chips top the wet mix and stir until ingredients are incorporated
• Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes clean
• Cool completely before cutting into squares
|There were lots of treats to take home.|
If you want to get started on making some treats of your own, Doron has a book called ” Sticky Fingers’ Sweets 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes”.
You could buy it now or enter my contest to win a $20.00 dollar Amazon.com gift card and buy it yourself.
Sorry, this Giveaway is now closed.
Did you enjoy reading these recipes? Sign up for free recipes, home management tips and more via our blog updates. I’m counting on you.